Take a minute, breathe in counting up to six move your breath in through your belly, ribs, and chest. Then Exhale allowing your breath to flow slowly out while counting to eight, relax. Baby wearing yoga allows parents to enjoy bonding with their child while creating a calm environment while working out. Yoga focuses on strengthening, stretching and relaxing the body; our students at Centered Motion Total Body Fitness learn to “follow what your body is telling you because this is your workout.”
My baby wearing yoga workshop was two hours long and taught moms both baby wearing safety followed by baby and mother beginner yoga poses. Caitlyn Shaw, a volunteer babywearing educator for Babywearing International Hampton Roads chapter, and the baby wearing class teacher for Diaper Junction cloth diaper store helped parents with the carriers. Parents were reminded to be very careful about placement in a carrier or wrap, and to know the physical abilities such as head control, and making sure the baby always have room to breathe freely. Once our moms were suited up in a carrier of choice, my favorite being our Ergobaby Organic Carrier, we hit the mats for the work out. We were able to use 8-10 standing poses such as chair pose, hip circles, warrior one and two, Tree pose, arm swings, and squatting to engage our body, with the most important part being our yoga mama’s to take it slow, watch their balance, and recognize personal body limitations especially with child on board!
Here are some easy steps for a basic babywearing pose:
Tree Pose: this pose can be done free standing or by placing your standing foot hand on a wall for extra support. Standing tall tucking tail bone under arm by your side feet about hip width apart.
- Take a breath here clearing your mind of all stressors.
- From here leaning onto your right foot find balance.
- Turning your left foot in placing your left heal on your right ankle, find balance and breathe maybe even taking 3 or 4 breaths.
- Remember to look straight ahead of you focusing on one spot. If you feel comfortable here stay here and enjoy or…
- When you feel stable and balanced move your left foot placing it onto the side of your right shin.
- Inhale deeply and relax into the pose if this feel good for your body stay here taking 3 or 4 breathes
- Never place your foot on your knee as it can cause injury to the knee.
- If you want to go further move your left foot up onto your inner thigh. When doing this move slow and make sure to maintain balance for both your safety and your sweet little baby!
- Take 3 or 4 breathes here and enjoy your pose.
- Coming out turn your standing foot toes under relieving any pressure in your leg and repeat pose on your other side! It’s very important to not only practice carefully but what you do to one side you should always do to the other.
This post was submitted by reader Jessica De Kok. Jessica teaches Baby and Me yoga class and babywearing workshop at Centered Motion total Body fitness. She is a stay at home mom working on her master’s degree in Early Childhood Education, and holds a 200 hour yoga certification through the International Yoga Institute. She loves to find ways of making exercise easier for new moms.
Please use caution when attempting any of the carries, exercise or activities highlighted on this blog. Please use common sense and caution when using a Carrier. You should consult a physician before starting any diet or exercise program. For more information, see our Disclaimer.